Land Use

Land Development

Before you decide to divide any property, or before you plan a homesite for your property, please attend a Town Planning Commission meeting.  By engaging the Planning Commission ahead of time we can advise you of the Town’s expectations, and make your process much smoother, avoiding regulatory issues or additional development costs.  — Posted by the Town of Vermont Planning Commission December 28, 2020.

Land Use

Governments use land-use planning to manage the development of land within their jurisdiction. Effective land use planning involves regulating the use of land in an efficient and ethical way.
The Town of Vermont Comprehensive Plan is the long-term planning document that provides a rational basis for local land use decisions.

If you are considering a change to your property such as:

  • A zoning change
  • Installation of a driveway or field road
  • Creating a home site or putting up a building over 100 sq. feet and / or you are in a Ridgetop Protection area
  • A conditional use that is not permitted in your current zoning
The Land Use Intent Form is the application that is used to submit a land use proposal to the Town of Vermont Plan Commission and Board. The Land Use Intent interactive checklist offers a guide and useful resources to ensure your application is completed properly.

If you have questions on any aspect of a process, please contact the Plan Commission Secretary, Diane Anderson, 608-767-3953 or